Alan Belkin, composer
"Imagination, the most important freedom" - Alan Belkin
Brahms is reputed to have said: Everything you need to know about composing can be learned from Bach. He was right. What makes Bach great is not the fact that he was an expert contrapuntist, but the richness, harmonic and melodic, of everything he wrote. It's a kind of generosity, unmatched in the history of music.
- Filippo Faustini has kindly provided an
Italian translation of my
- My orchestration workbook is now
- My workbook for Counterpoint 3 is now
- My workbook
for Counterpoint 2 is now available here.
- My workbook
for elementary species counterpoint is now available here.
- A new recording of my concertino for clarinet and orchestra, "Night Secrets".
- A short video of mine, "What is good orchestration", is now on YouTube.
- Many new recordings, see my youtube channel: search for "alan belkin".
- My Piano Concerto is now available for listening, in an excellent performance conducted by J. L. Gagnon, with Philippe Prud'homme as soloist.
- Added Spanish versions of the Harmony book, and the essay on musical ideas.
- New recording of my 7th symphony
- Added a checklist: What you need to know.
- New recordings added on the worklist page: Clarinet/Viola Sonata, Six Songs for a Young Man.
- Italian and Spanish versions of the piano technique essay are now available.
- An interview with Andras Daniel Toth.
- The "Letter to a Young Composer" is now available in German.
- New material added to the counterpoint book (the section on motives).
- New material added to the piano essay.
- New essay added on the symphonies of David Diamond.
- New recordings added to the worklist page: Petite Nocturne (cl., pno. 3.5 minutes), Piano Trio (8 minutes), 1st String Quartet, 4th String Quartet, Nonet (see the worklist page for individual movements).
- New comments on musical analysis.
- Added a "Letter to a Young Composer".
- My essay on piano technique is now available in Italian.
- Translations of my online writings are now available in several different languages (for the complete list, click here).
- Added tributes to Marvin Duchow and Adele Wiseman, two of my mentors.
- My online book on Musical Form has been revised and updated, with new examples added, including audio.
- My online book on Orchestration has been revised and updated, with new examples added, including audio.
- My online book on Harmony has been revised and updated, with new examples added, including audio.
- My online book on Counterpoint has been revised and updated, with new examples added, including audio.
- 12 Preludes and Fugues for piano!
- Two online mini-courses in orchestration are now available here.
- New practice capsules for piano students.
- Four little Etudes for solo piano, useful for mastering basic concepts discussed in the essay
Principles of Piano Technique.
- Rimsky-Korsakov's classic text "Principles of Orchestration" is now available
online free, updated and with commentary by me.
website © Alan Belkin, 2008
email: alanbelkinmusic_at_gmail.com (replace _at_
I am always glad to hear comments or suggestions concerning the content here. I do get a great deal of email from this website, so I may not reply to you immediately. Since so many have asked, I do offer private lessons, either in person or via the Internet; please inquire for my rates. Please do not send me your music without an invitation; I unfortunately do not have time to respond to everyone who just wants my opinion of their score.